Thursday, May 5, 2011

Nine lives

I feel like a cat. 9 lives, and I'm currently living (or have lived) about 4 of them...it's kinda weird... I wonder what's in store for the next 5?

First, my life at the farm. I share everyday with my family, and get to spend lots of time doing the 'normal' 'home' things I love. I get to see a few of my high school friends from time-to-time... this, my childhood life, provides a lot of stability, support, and confidence. I love working outside, in the market, as an ag educator, as a 'gopher'.

Then, I live my skeleton life. I am a U.S. Elite Development Skeleton Athlete training as a US Olympic hopeful. I live and train with incredible athletes, and my training at the gym 5 days/week is geared towards this 'life'. But... it's pretty easy to 'forget' ... (does that make sense?)

My skeleton life (for the most part) doesn't crossover my childhood life. There is nothing (besides what I personally know, and do) that connects me to my skeleton life while I live on the farm. Nobody at the farm REALLy understands life in Lake Placid....and nobody in Lake Placid, REALLY understands the farm life. So... how to fully dedicate yourself to the skeleton life, when there's no one who understands? or who can really share that experience? ... I'll tell ya... it's tough. Tougher than I expected.

Then, I live my Bike & Build life. I get continual group-emails from former teammates. I dream about riding my bicycle through the countryside, and I have pictures, and jokes, and memories of an incredible summer of bicycling 4000 miles across the USA. But while I live in my (non-virtual) Farm-Life world, there is nothing but my own memories to keep me connected to that past summer. I know I was a Bike & Builder... but, when those friends aren't around in my present, physical life... the experience almost loses its validity.

Not to mention - the most incredible year of my life, AmeriCorps NCCC, seems only 'real' through the occassional facebook conversations and pictures posted through the years. AmeriCorps NCCC life seems that it has been left on the west coast, though my heart can't go a week without being reminded of the incredible experience & the amazing people I met through the program. But... it's so easily forgotten, when there's nobody here who has shared that experience with me.

So, I suppose this post is dedicated to the people who are a part of the 3 lives that somehow seem to float in the breeze, anymore. Someone could meet me at the farm...and never know about the 3 other lives I have lived... how can this be? I want them to know about you! I want them to see what an influence you have been to me! I wish they could look in my eyes and understand the appreciation I have.

AmeriCorps NCCC - BEST YEAR OF MY LIFE - *Katie, Kristen, Phoenix, Jamie, Ashley, Mandy, Shelly, Boe, Jacob, Elliott*
Bike & Build NUS '10 - Do tha' Northern, peeps! Been bonkin' the past 10 months without you...
SkeletOrrrrs - Counting down the days til A) July combine B) october team trials ... Can't WAIT too see you all again :)

I have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment