Monday, June 27, 2011

Change(v.) to give and take reciprocally

Skeleton’s the bomb. No, it’s actually the bomb-diggity. It’s awesome. CrAZy. Surreal.

So have been my experiences in both bobsled and skeleton. Never in a million years would I have thought, just 2 years ago, that I would someday train alongside The Greats in the sport -let alone, to discover that they’re also some of the most amazing, fun, dedicated, and adventurous people I will ever meet.

I truly ‘fell into’ the sport. A telephone call from one of my best AmeriCorps friends lead me to meeting & teaming up with Jazmine Fenlator, a rookie bobsled driver at the time, but now a 2014 Olympic Hopeful. Jaz was in a tight spot, and I am always willing to do anything out-of-the-ordinary. Bobsledding? Why not? That single phone call lead me into 10 weeks of bobsled and skeleton training in the 2009-2010 season. In love with the sport and my curiosity peaked, I made the decision to dedicate the following winter to training on the U.S. Elite Development team in the sport of Skeleton for the 2010-2011 season.

Sliding skeleton has been an experience of a lifetime. Forerunning the world cup, Kuk Sool Won, ungodly bruises, Wise Guys, and the awesome adrenaline rush of the sport… Nobody can take these experiences away from me- and so I will continue to tote those memories with me.

That being said, I do feel ‘called’ to make a change. A year of traveling with AmeriCorps, the Susan Komen 3-Day, and a cross-country cycling trip to raise over $180,000 for Affordable Housing non-profits… those experiences are tugging at my heart strings and pulling me back into the non-profit/volunteer world. This is where my heart truly lies.

I will be taking a 2nd interview this week with a non-profit based out of New Orleans, called the “St. Bernard Project.” They have dedicated the last 6 years to building and renovating homes for people who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina. I have lived in New Orleans & Baton Rouge in the past, and am longing to get back down there to help finish the job. If this opportunity doesn’t work out, I will continue to seek for AmeriCorps positions.

This is possibly one of, (if not THE), most difficult changes I’ve ever made. I will miss my Devo friends so much. We’ve been through a lot together-emotionally and physically, and I hope to continue our friendships. To all Team USA Bobsled & Skeleton athletes-thanks for your advice, and contagious enthusiasm for the sport. I want to attend the Olympics and cheer for you all, cowbell in hand ☺

Thanks to Coach Don for all his encouragement, sport expertise, and sense of humor; and to Becca, for her words of wisdom, on and off the ice. To Kyle and Brad, for going above & beyond to teach me the ins-and-outs of Olympic lifting and training. To Leah and Chip, for everything from tea parties to a listening ear. Thanks to Matt Bailey, Amy Will, Sam, Lucy, Pastor Derek, and all the OTC staff, USBSF staff, and the Track Workers. You guys really put in a ton of work & a lot of heart into what you do. It does not go unnoticed, though I don’t think I ever thanked you as much as you deserved.

And lastly, to my sponsors: R.A.W-Training for their motivation & athletic expertise to help me reach my goals; to Naturally Soergel’s for their love & enthusiasm; and to my family, especially Grandma Soergel, Kaki & Ray, Deonna, and above all, to my Mom & Dad- for supporting me on every step, of every journey that I embark on.

With many thanks,
Leisl Soergel



"Continuity gives us roots; change gives us branches, letting us stretch and grow and reach new heights." ~Pauline R. Kezer

4 comments:

  1. Sad to hear you've given up skeleton, but I'm excited to see what God's going to do in your life in the weeks, months, and years to come! Keep me updated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops! Here's my post:
    LEISL!!! Liz Dizzle, Diesel,
    I will certainly miss your cowbell, Soergel's apples and dancing at Wise Guys.

    Best of luck to you girlie, I know you will succeed in whatever path you choose.

    "Every time you consider the future, feel confident that something great lies just beyond the horizon, and tomorrow is always an opportunity to achieve greatness.

    <3
    Meg Henry (Beast Mode, Megos, etc)

    ReplyDelete