Monday, March 21, 2011

A Bittersweet Finish


One of my early training runs from November 2010

I'm back on the farm in Butler, Pennsylvania now. On March 8th I was informed that my season would be ending on the 18th of the month. The coaches had picked 4 women and 4 men to represent the USA in the America's Cup Races for the beginning of April, and I was not one of them. I wasn't mad, but more upset with my performance at the end of the season, and spent the majority of that Tuesday away from the Olympic Training Center, off spending time alone.

Lessons in humility can be some of the most rewarding & challenging, and I took a lot of solace in having just spent the previous day at a Bible study, discussing the challenges facing both praise and humility. I want to thank Pastor Derek and the Lake Placid Baptist Church community for having been such a blessing to me over the past 5 months. If anyone who reads this makes it to Lake Placid, Christian or not, should certainly visit the church and discover everything that I've appreciated over this past winter.

So, upon the news, I began a thorough inspection of my past 5 months in the sport. What could I have done better? In hindsight, did I take advantage of every opportunity that was presented me while here? What are my strengths, and how will I use them to my advantage in the future? There were a lot of things I unraveled about myself and my season. Both good, and bad!

Being sent home March 18th, rather than April 3rd, really has NO bearing whatsoever on how I will perform next October at the National Team Trials. I had 3 beautiful runs, and 1 crappy run at Nationals this spring, and therefore did not place well enough to be chosen for AC. No big deal! So now, I've got to prepare myself for next fall, to be at the best I can be.

But, how to become 'my best' when I'm living so far away from Lake Placid? Well, in the off-season, there are ZERO tracks in the world that are open. Therefore, my competition both domestic and international, can not get a step-up on me by my not being near a track. I think there are 4 main things I will accomplish this summer to help make me successful next year A) Olympic/Strength Lifting & sprints B) Visualizations C) Sport-specific Drills (aka I have a skateboard w/ handle to push now) and D) seeking out sponsorships.

The last point, sponsorships, will not necessarily make me 'faster' or 'better' but it will provide me the opportunity to travel. I will be funding myself this next season (as all us DEVO kids will be) , and I already know I'll be traveling to Park City, UT in October, and have a very good chance of competing in Calgary, Canada as well (which is where 'Cool Runnings' competed!). If I were to place in the top 10, I could go to Europe for the season, which would cost approximately $1000/week for 10 weeks. Selfishly, If my teammates place in the top 10 to go to Europe, and don't have the funding to go, then the spot will be opened up to people who are ranked lower, and so I want to be 'ready' regardless of the circumstances. It's sad that USA Bobsled & Skeleton can only fund top 3-6 athletes, and has to resort to development athletes who can fund themselves. It just means I have to work hard, and play it smart, to compete.

Which is why I really want to thank my Grandma, owner of Soergel Orchards, for her support both monetarily and in hesitant excitement - I think it takes a lot to support your granddaughter to fling herself down an ice-chute at 75mph...

I also want to thank Sue, Ricky & Katie, and Uncle Earl & Aunt Doris for their monetary help and enthusiasm and support for this journey that I'm now taking. Together we were able to buy my spikes, and a set of new runners :)

And lastly, to my Mom, Dad, and S(n)ister!!! You've helped me out in every way possible, and I would have never made it this far, (well duh), had you not been around to encourage me and to help me stay afloat in a world where money makes it go 'round. Thank you, and Love you!!!

If anyone else is interested (or knows someone/company who might be able to help) in potential sponsorship of my 2011-2012 Skeleton Season, please let me know. Either you can hit the 'donate' button in the upper right hand corner of this blog, or if you send me a note (Leislsoergel@gmail.com) I can give instructions on how to make a TAX-DEDUCTIBLE donation to my upcoming season.

After a much-needed mental & physical break, I begin physical training again next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment